Severe Weather Planning
Severe weather is becoming a seasonal norm for us. It is therefore appropriate that I take this opportunity to inform you of ways that you will be able to find out whether the school is open or closed in these extreme circumstances.
Firstly, may I point out that the decision to close Harvey Road School is not an easy one. As the professional weather forecasters have such difficulty anticipating our weather, understandably, so do I. However, it will always be my intention to keep the school open unless it is absolutely essential to close due to health and safety concerns. These concerns may include whether:
- Children and staff can safely come to school and return safely home again
(This means trying to predict weather patterns for 3.15/3.20pm as well as at 9am)
- Emergency services can safely get access to the school at all times
- Food, heating and water are available at all times
- There is an appropriate ratio of staff to children during school hours
In the event of any snowfall, we may be in a situation where will ask for adult volunteers to help clear the snow, to ensure a clear pathway can be made. If you would be willing to help please advise Clare Wallis, in the school office and we will add your name to our list of volunteers. You are of course welcome to bring your children with their shovels!!
If the weather turns out to be severe and the decision is made to close the school, I will notify you as soon as possible through the following means:
- A message will come through Parentmail.
- Harvey Road Primary School website
- If there is severe weather and many schools close, the Parentmail system may be overloaded. Therefore in addition to Parentmail you can also receive notifications from Hertfordshire County Council. In order to receive these email/text notifications if the school is closed, you should register on the Everbridge Schools Closure Notification System by clicking on this link https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/at-school/emergency-school-closures/emergency-school-closures.aspx It takes just a few minutes to register.
- News bulletins will be announced on the following radio stations:
- Heart 96.6 Hertfordshire
- Watford’s Vibe 107.6FM
- A message will be left on our school gate
- Occasionally both Parentmail and Everbridge systems may be overloaded, so word of mouth is an excellent failsafe option. If you know that the school is open/closed, please pass it on to other families if you can.