Design and Technology (D&T) is an inspiring and practical subject which encourages children to think creatively to solve problems both individually and in a team.
D&T teaches children the knowledge, understanding and skills needed for both planning, designing and making. At Harvey Road Primary School we encourage the children to use their creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems. The children are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers through testing prototypes and evaluating their designs. We aim to develop the children into analytical and reflective designers through the learning of skills, research and techniques within cooking, sewing and making.
On leaving Harvey Road Primary School a successful learner of this subject will:
- Understand and apply the principles of a healthy and varied diet
- Select from and use a wide range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks
- Have an understanding of how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world
- Demonstrate a positive attitude towards the subject and be curious to learn more
- Work towards producing items that meet a specific criteria or design proposal