Harvey Road Primary School Equality Statement
The overall objectives of Harvey Road Primary School's equality statement is to provide a framework to:
- pursue its equality duties
- eliminate unlawful discrimination and harassment
- promote equality of opportunity
- promote good relations and positive attitudes between people of all backgrounds in all its activities
The principles of this statement apply to all members of the extended school community:
- Community Members
Partners and contractors are also expected to abide by the statement.
The School will not tolerate less favourable treatment of anyone on the grounds of gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, age and religion or belief. Through our school ethos, curriculum and community links, we will work towards:
- A common vision
- A sense of belonging for all
- Similar life opportunities for all
- Strong and positive relationships between different communities
Through our Equality statement and objectives, Harvey Road Primary School seeks to ensure that no member of the school community, or any person through their contact with the school, receives less favourable treatment on any grounds which cannot be shown to be justified. This covers race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, gender, marital status, responsibility for children or other dependents, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political views, socioeconomic background, and where the person lives, or, previous convictions.
We recognise that equality is more than just meeting legal obligations or targets. It is about making a difference in the lives of the people we serve, treating all people with dignity and respect, and recognising the value of each individual. This means that the school community has an ongoing commitment to ensuring that our services meet the varied and individual needs of children and young people in our school.
To this end we will:
- ensure that our employment practices are fair and promote equality
- actively value the wide variety of lifestyles and cultures, locally and nationally
- prepare children and young people for living in a diverse society with increasing global connections and controversial issues
- ensure that the principles of this statement are reflected in all our policies, practices, procedures and services and are part of everything we do
Harvey Road School takes equality very seriously. For this reason, the school identifies equality targets annually, reviewing progress made at the end of each academic year. Please see the School Context and Equalities Priorities document on this website for more information.