At Harvey Road Primary School, we aim to encourage an understanding of the importance of caring and nurturing good relationships with others.
The Religious Education curriculum is based on Christian morals and principles and children also learn about a wide range of world faiths. At the same time pupils are helped to understand the history and culture of other faiths and to have an understanding of the similarities and differences between them.
At Harvey Road School we follow the Hertfordshire Agreed Syllabus. We achieve this through both in class learning where staff and visitors will inform and model practices and beliefs as well as visiting religious places of worship including temples, churches and synagogues.
On leaving Harvey Road Primary School a successful learner of this subject will:
- Know the main teaching and beliefs of world religions
- Show awareness of key non- religious organisations
- Identify key artefacts from different religions, treating them sensitively
- Ask challenging questions and reflect on answers given
- Visit places of worship and interact with members of different faiths
- Be a tolerant and respectful member of the local community/ society
Parents and carers have a right to withdraw their child(ren) from both RE and/or the daily act of collective worship. However, we would hope that, through discussing the concerns with someone in school, a resolution can be found that enables the child to access and experience a broad and balanced view of religion so that they are well informed but not indoctrinated.